This salad is a tasty way of using up all of your beetroot – the beetroots can be roasted, the stems made into a quick pickle and the leaves used as salad. Adding the beetroot stem pickle to the salad and for the dressing adds delicious spice and crunch to this dish while the leaves have a buttery smooth consistency. The salad uses parts of the plant – the stems and roots – that are not usually cooked and they are really delicious.
Cinnamon roasted beetroot salad with feta & spiced beetroot stem quick picklePrint Recipe
- 1 bunch beetroot – stems reserved for quick pickle, extra leaves can be saved for salad
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 handful marinated feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 handful fresh marjoram, torn
- 1 handful beetroot leaves and kale leaves washed and shredded
- 2 tablespoons Beetroot stem quick pickle & 1 tablespoon of brine
- Sprinkle of coriander seeds
Preheat oven to 200 C
Roast peeled and cleaned, quartered beets in olive oil and cinnamon for about an hour or until soft, wrap up in baking paper and tie into a parcel with kitchen string
Combine all ingredients and sprinkle over the quick pickle and brine and coriander seeds
Delicious for a picnic with hard boiled eggs and fresh sourdough.